Hugo MoralesHugo Morales was reappointed to the Commission by the Senate Rules Committee on February 20, 2008, to represent the general public. His term expires on December 31, 2013. Mr. Morales was first appointed to the Commission on June 11, 2003. Mr. Morales is the Executive Director of Radio Bilingüe, Inc. In 1976, Mr. Morales and an all-volunteer staff of farmworkers, former farmworkers, and artists founded Radio Bilingüe, which began radio broadcast operation on July 4, 1980 over the entire San Joaquin Valley. Radio Bilingüe is a national satellite community radio service in Spanish, English and Mixteco (an indigenous Native American language in Mexico) that serves Latino radio audiences in the Northern Hemisphere. It has its headquarters in Fresno. Regional offices are in Salinas, El Centro, and Lamont. The national production studios are in San Francisco.
Radio Bilingüe is the recognized Spanish-language radio service for the public radio system in the United States. It serves over half a million listeners with its pioneering daily Spanish-language national talk show, Línea Abierta, its independently produced news service, Noticiero Latino, and its rainbow of Spanish-language folk music for its national Latino audiences. The entire 24-hour daily operation is totally devoted to public service. Radio Bilingüe has a full-time staff of twenty-five and a budget of two million dollars. Its funders include the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, The California Endowment, the David and Lucile Packard Foundation, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the National Endowment for the Arts, the California Arts Council, the California State Health Department - Tobacco Control Section, and many other funding partners interested in informing hard-to-reach, low-income, Latino populations in California and across the U.S.
- B.S., Harvard College
- J.D., Harvard Law School
Awards and Honors:
- The Corporation for Public Broadcasting, Edward R. Murrow Award, public radio's highest distinction, May 1999.
- MacArthur Foundation Fellowship, 1994.
- Member, The California Endowment Board
- Member, San Francisco Foundation Board of Trustees
- Member, Rosenberg Foundation Board of Trustees
- Member, YMCA (Fresno) Board
- Member, UC Merced Trustee
- Member, CSU Fresno's Ambassador's for Higher Education Board
- Member, Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
- Member, California Tomorrow Board