John P. Perez
John P. Perez was reappointed to the Commission on December 31, 2010 by the Speaker of the Assembly to represent the general public. His term expires on December 31, 2016. He was first appointed to the Commission by the Speaker of the Assembly on May 5, 2005, to represent the general public. His first term expired on December 31, 2010. He was Chair of the Commission from 2009-2010.
Mr. Perez is currently the President of United Teachers Los Angeles--Retired. He was formerly the President of United Teachers Los Angeles (UTLA) from 2002 through July 1, 2005. He was a Social Studies Teacher at Roosevelt High School.
- B.A., San Fernando Valley State College (now CSU Northridge)
- Junior Year Abroad Program, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
- B.A., History, Cum Laude, SFVSC-CSUN 1968
- Secondary Teaching Credential SFVSC-CSUN 1969
Awards and Honors:
- Only teacher honored by the State Teachers' Retirement System (STRS) for helping to lobby and pass the 1998 retirement laws
- Vice President of California Federation of Teachers AFL-CIO since 2003-2005
- Vice President of California Labor Federation AFL-CIO since 2002-2005
- Chair, UTLA Ruben Salazar Memorial Scholarship 1980-1990
- Board of Directors, UTLA: 1978-1984 and 1986 to 2005
- Member, National Education Association
- Member, California Teachers Association
- Member, California and American Federations of Teachers
- Lobbying to eliminate the Social Security offsets for educators
- Helped write and qualify the initiative that would have capped central office administrative spending at 5% of a district's budget
- Wrote the law that requires school districts to pay teachers earned salary advances within three months of qualifing for a salary advance
- Wrote the law that makes it a misdemeanor to place a student with a history of violence in a teacher's classroom without notifying the teacher.
Commission Committee Membership: