George David Kieffer
George Kieffer was appointed on August 1, 2010, as the alternate representative to the Commission by the Regents of the University of California and serves at the pleasure of the Board of Regents. His term expires on June 30, 2011.
Mr. Kieffer is a partner and member of the Executive Committee of the national law firm of Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP. He focuses on regulatory issues and oversees major business litigation, business transactions and government-related matters.
- B.A. - History, University of California, Santa Barbara
- J.D. - University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law
Awards and Honors:
- Mr. Kieffer has been listed in the Best Lawyers in America (2005-2011 editions).
- He was named by the San Francisco Daily Journal and the Los Angeles Daily Journal as one of the 100 most influential attorneys in California (2000) and one of the "Top 100" attorneys in California in 2010.
- Member, Regents of the University of California appointed by Governor Schwarzenegger in May 2009 to a term ending in 2021.
- Director, Promerica Bank.
- Chair, Los Angeles Civic Alliance.
- Served as Chair of the Appointed Commission charged with rewriting the Los Angeles City Charter. The new City Charter, the first full revision in 75 years, was adopted in 1999.
- Former Chair, Board of Directors of the Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce.
- Former Chair, Los Angeles Mayor's Council of Economic Advisors.
- Former President, Board of Governors of the California Community Colleges.
- Former Trustee and Chairman of the University of California at Santa Barbara Foundtation.
- Former President, University of California Alumni Association.
- Contributing Author, "Governing Public Colleges & Universities", Jossey-Bass, (c. 1993).
- Author, "The Strategy of Meetings", Simon & Schuster, (1988).