Report 90-22: Second Progress Report on the Effectiveness of Intersegmental Student Preparation Programs: The Second of Three Reports to the Legislature in Response to Item 6420-0011-001 of the 1988-89 Budget Act
Published by The California Postsecondary Education CommissionOctober 1990View Full Publication
In Supplemental Language to the 1988-89 Budget Act, the California Legislature directed the California Postsecondary Education Commission to issue three reports on the effectiveness of intersegmental programs that have been designed to improve the preparation of high school students for college--two preliminary reports by October 1989 and October 1990, and a final report by October 1991. The Commission published the first of the three reports in October 1989. This second report focuses on (1) the effectiveness of each program and its components to the achievement of its objectives and (2) the extent to which these programs function in an integrated and coordinated manner so that they use State resources effectively and efficiently. Based on an analysis of the reports submitted by nine intersegmental student preparation programs, this document offers five recommendations for the final report and these six conclusions:
- The programs have demonstrated their efficacy to enhance the preparation for college of students from backgrounds historically underrepresented in postsecondary education.
- Resources in these programs have been spent efficiently.
- Ample knowledge exists as to the general strategies and specific activities that lead to enhanced preparation for college by all students.
- These programs must be expanded in order to serve a greater proportion of the State's eligible students.
- Ultimately achieving the State's educational equity goals will require systemic enhancement of all schools' capacity to educate all of California's children.
- The analysis of the relationship between program components, activities, and services and student achievement that served as a focus for this report, when refined, has the potential not only of enhancing the efficiency of these programs but also of bringing closer California's achievement of educational equity.
Related Topics: College-going and Preparation for Higher Education
Further information may be obtained from the Commission's Research Staff
(916) 445-1000 or via e-mail at Research_Staff@cpec.ca.gov.
A copy of any publication may be requested from the Commission's Publications Unit
(916) 445-1000 or via e-mail at Publication_Request@cpec.ca.gov.
Sign up to be notified when new publications are released.