Report 94-16: State Postsecondary Review Entity (SPRE) Standards Adopted on October 24, 1994, and Submitted to the United States Secretary of Education
Published by The California Postsecondary Education CommissionOctober 1994View Full Publication
On October 24, 1994, the California Postsecondary Education Commission -- California's "state postsecondary review entity" for the purposes of reducing fraud and abuse in federal student financial aid programs in California -- adopted the following standards for reviewing California postsecondary institutions that participate in federal student aid programs under Title IV of the 1992 reauthorization of the Higher Education Act and that are referred by the U.S. Department of Education for review under regulations implementing that Act (34 CFR, Section 667.21). The Act and its regulations spell out 14 areas of concern in which the state postsecondary review entity in each state has to develop standards. In California, as is evident from the following pages, for most of the standards, the Commission has developed specific requirements for each of four different types of institution:
- Schools, agents, and agencies that offer vocational and non-degree granting programs and that are approved by the State's Council for Private Postsecondary and Vocational Education;
- Private postsecondary institutions that offer degree-granting programs and that are approved by the Council;
- Institutions accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges; and
- Institutions accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
Related Topics: Enrollment Demand and Capacity Analysis
Further information may be obtained from the Commission's Research Staff
(916) 445-1000 or via e-mail at Research_Staff@cpec.ca.gov.
A copy of any publication may be requested from the Commission's Publications Unit
(916) 445-1000 or via e-mail at Publication_Request@cpec.ca.gov.
Sign up to be notified when new publications are released.