Report 95-7: Approval of the Escondido Center of the Palomar Community College District: A Report to the Governor and Legislature in Response to a Request from the Board of Governors of the California Community Colleges
Published by The California Postsecondary Education CommissionJune 1995View Full Publication
The Postsecondary Education Commission is charged by State law to evaluate proposals concerning the location, acquisition and construction of new institutions, branches or off-campus center of public higher education. This report contains the Commission's analysis, findings and recommendations concerning a request by the California Community Colleges Board of Governors to confer official status on the Escondido Center is an existing facility -- one of the largest such centers in the State -- and is located in the northern part of San Diego County. It currently serves some 3,000 students in day and night classes. Approval of the center was requested so that it may be eligible for future capital outlay funding. Among the Commission's finding in support of the Board of Governors' request are the following:
- The Escondido Center is an existing operation for which approval is sought in order that it may become eligible for capital outlay funding for future renovations, structural maintenance, or other minor projects.
- No capital outlay funding is requested; and available data on the operations budget suggests that cost per student at the center is probably somewhat lower than the district average.
- There is widespread community support for the Escondido Center and area demographic and enrollment projections support the operation of the center.
- The center maintains a broad curricula, and has increased considerably the ethnic diversity of its student body.
- The Palomar District is actively engaged in ongoing planning for the Escondido Center, other centers, and postsecondary institutions in the area.
Related Topics: Facilities Review
Further information may be obtained from the Commission's Research Staff
(916) 445-1000 or via e-mail at Research_Staff@cpec.ca.gov.
A copy of any publication may be requested from the Commission's Publications Unit
(916) 445-1000 or via e-mail at Publication_Request@cpec.ca.gov.
Sign up to be notified when new publications are released.