Report 97-3: A Review of the Proposed Watsonville Center -- An Educational Center of the Cabrillo Community College District: A Report to the Governor and Legislature in Response to a Request from the Board of Governors of the California Community Colleges
Published by The California Postsecondary Education CommissionJune 1997View Full Publication
Consistent with its responsibility as the State's planning and coordination agency for higher education, the California Postsecondary Education Commission is charged by Sections 66903(5) and 66904 of the Education Code to evaluate proposals concerning the need for, and location of, new institutions, branches, or educational centers of public higher education. Further, it is required to provide the substance of its analyses of these proposals to the Governor and the Legislature in the form of recommendations for approval or disapproval. This report contains the Commission's analysis and recommendations concerning a request by the Board of Governors of the California Community Colleges and the Cabrillo Community College District to confer official educational center status on the Watsonville Center in the City of Watsonville. The Commission's recommendation for approval of the center, which is already in operation, will permit the district to qualify for State capital outlay construction and equipment funding. The Commission's conclusions include the following:
- There is more than sufficient enrollment to justify the center's existence;
- Prior to selection of the present site, the district was diligent in pursuing various alternatives, including the consideration of numerous alternative sites;
- The district has created an academic plan for the proposed center;
- The district already has, and will expand, an array of needed student services; and
- There is virtually no possibility of conflict with neighboring institutions.
Related Topics: Facilities Review
Further information may be obtained from the Commission's Research Staff
(916) 445-1000 or via e-mail at Research_Staff@cpec.ca.gov.
A copy of any publication may be requested from the Commission's Publications Unit
(916) 445-1000 or via e-mail at Publication_Request@cpec.ca.gov.
Sign up to be notified when new publications are released.