Report 97-4: A Review of the Proposed Academy of Entertainment and Technology -- An Educational Center of the Santa Monica Community College District: A Report to the Governor and Legislature in Response to a Request from the Board of Governors of the California Community Colleges
Published by The California Postsecondary Education CommissionJune 1997View Full Publication
In carrying out its responsibility as the State's planning and coordination agency for higher education, the California Postsecondary Education Commission is charged by Sections 66903(5) and 66904 of the Education Code to evaluate proposals concerning the need for, and location of, new institutions, branches, or educational centers of public higher education. The Commission is further required to provide the substance of its analyses of these proposals to the Governor and the Legislature in the form of recommendations for approval or disapproval. This report contains the Commission's analysis and recommendations concerning a request by both the Board of Governors of the California Community Colleges and the Santa Monica Community College District to confer official educational center status on the Academy for Entertainment and Technology in central Santa Monica. The Commission's recommendation for approval of the center -- for which the district has already purchased the building -- will permit the facility to qualify for State capital outlay funding. The Commission's conclusions include the following:
- The Academy's enrollment projection, which is based entirely on labor market demand, is sufficient to justify the center's existence;
- Prior to selection of the present site, the district diligently pursued various alternatives;
- The district has created an academic plan for the proposed center; and
- There is virtually no possibility of conflict with neighboring institutions.
Related Topics: Workforce and Occupations | Facilities Review
Further information may be obtained from the Commission's Research Staff
(916) 445-1000 or via e-mail at Research_Staff@cpec.ca.gov.
A copy of any publication may be requested from the Commission's Publications Unit
(916) 445-1000 or via e-mail at Publication_Request@cpec.ca.gov.
Sign up to be notified when new publications are released.