Report 98-5: Toward a Greater Understanding of the State's Educational Equity Policies, Programs, and Practices
Published by The California Postsecondary Education CommissionDecember 1998View Full Publication
As the national and state debate began about affirmative action policies, programs, and practices, its Educational Equity Policy Advisory Committee recommended to the Commission that it embark on an objective, data-driven analysis of the status of educational equity in the state. In so recommending, the Committee was advancing the notion that the Commission had long served as a conscience with respect to educational equity. Following this Committee's recommendation, the Commission's role in this debate became one of documenting the situation with facts rather than anecdotes and reason rather than emotion. The Commission discussed the myriad facets of the situation with respect to educational equity at each of its meetings during the year that began in April of 1997. By the middle of 1998, the Commission considered and adopted a set of recommendations addressed to policy makers in both the educational sphere and in government to advance the attainment of educational equity in California. This volume contains the Commission's perspective on educational equity and describes the nature of this volume. The core of this document is the compilation of the seven individual installments that were presented to the Commission during the course of this study in the form of Higher Education Updates and Fact Sheets. These two formats have been combined in this volume and appear as Chapters 3-9. In brief, these chapters examine:
- The reality of the California of today;
- A vision of the California of tomorrow;
- The role of education in creating the Commission's vision of the California of tomorrow;
- Schools as a resource in realizing the Commission's vision of the California of tomorrow;
- The changing college admissions process in the 1990s;
- The collegiate experience; and,
- The Commission's recommendations.
Related Topics: Equity, Access, and College Preparation
Further information may be obtained from the Commission's Research Staff
(916) 445-1000 or via e-mail at Research_Staff@cpec.ca.gov.
A copy of any publication may be requested from the Commission's Publications Unit
(916) 445-1000 or via e-mail at Publication_Request@cpec.ca.gov.
Sign up to be notified when new publications are released.