Skip to: Content | Footer

California Postsecondary Education Data Home Page

Frequently Asked Questions

College Guide

Can you tell me which Community Colleges are on the quarter system?

De Anza, Foothill and Lake Tahoe community colleges are on the quarter system. The others are on the semester system.

Can you tell me which community colleges offer housing?

Santa Rosa
West Hills

Do you know any universities where I can get a degree without taking any math classes?

It is advisable to refer to the course catalog for information on which courses are required.

How is the determination made for the transferability of a community college course and its applicability to degree programs at the UC and CSU?

Course transferability depends on the institutions and any articulation agreements that may be in place between the two institutions. An articulation agreement is an official agreement whereby one college or university agrees to accept specific courses or groups of courses from another college or university as satisfying specific course-taking requirements in substitute of its own courses.

"Articulation" in this context is when CSU and UC faculty agree to accept sets of community college courses as having the focus, content and rigor necessary to meet course requirements at the baccalaureate institutions. Formal course articulation agreements generally fall within one of three areas:

  • General education breadth agreements, such as those represented by IGETC
  • Transferable course agreements, such as those approved by the State University in various systemwide degrees
  • Course-by-course agreements, which are generally used to build articulation of lower-division coursework required for a particular major.

You can get more information on transferability of community college courses and their applicability to CSU and UC degree programs through ASSIST (Articulation System Stimulating Interinstitutional Student Transfer) This service displays reports of how course credits earned at one California college or university can be applied when transferred to another. ASSIST is the official repository of articulation for California's colleges and universities and provides the most accurate information available about student transfer in California.

Related Links:

I love the information in the College Guide. Does the Commission have information about out-of-state institutions?

Yes. Go to the College Guide Search page, scroll down to Additional Search Parameters and select Include Out-of-State Institutions. You can also search the Guide by Program (Major), or a number of other options.

I need information about disability services at the community colleges.

The Disabled Students Programs & Services (DSP&S) program, enacted in 1976, provides support services, specialized instruction, and educational accommodations to students with disabilities so that they can participate as fully and benefit as equitably from the college experience as their non-disabled peers. A Student Educational Contract (SEC) is developed for each student which links student goals, curricula, and academic accommodations to his/her specific disability-related educational limitation.
In addition, you can find out about disability services offered at each community college by using the Commission's Guide to California Colleges and Universities

Related Links:

I need information about the SAT and the ACT. Do they have websites? Is the ACT needed?

Colleges vary as to which test is required for entrance. Contact the schools you are interested in to find out which entrance exam is required.

The SAT is administered by the College Board. Other tests are administered by ACT, once known as the American College Testing Program.

Related Links:

I would like to get a mailing list of the colleges in California. Is this possible?

Please see the following link. It is a .csv (comma separated value) file that can be opened in Excel and other spreadsheet and database programs:

What exactly are postsecondary institutions? Why are they called postsecondary institutions?

Postsecondary institutions are colleges and universities. They are called postsecondary because they offer education after high (or secondary) school.

Which University of California campuses are operating on the quarter system, and how many/which campuses on the semester system?

The University of California, Berkeley, is on the semester calendar, while the other nine UC campuses (Davis, Irvine, Los Angeles, Riverside, San Diego, San Francisco, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz and Merced) use the quarter system.

Related Links:

View all FAQs.

E-mail a question to Webmaster@CPEC.CA.Gov