Skip to: Content | Footer

California Postsecondary Education Data Home Page

Frequently Asked Questions

Closed Schools

The institution I attended has closed, how do I get a copy of my transcripts?

If a state-approved institution closes, state law requires the institution to arrange for the storage and safekeeping in California of all transcripts. The length of retention varies by type of institution. If the institution granted degrees, the transcripts must be maintained for 50 years. If it was a vocational institution, the transcripts must be maintained for 5 years. The repository for the records is decided on a case-by-case basis. To learn more about closed institutions, transcripts, the custodian of records, or additional information about schools approved by the Bureau of Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE), you may contact the Bureau at:

Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education
P.O. Box 980818
West Sacramento, CA 95798-0818
Phone: (916) 574-7720

Related Links:

The school I attended has closed. Can you help or direct me where to go or who might be able to assist me in collecting the refund of my tuition?

Contact the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education at (916) 574-7720.

Students can request, in writing, a refund of tuition from the school. The Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE) investigates whether closed schools may have violated state or federal law. If so, students may be eligible for a refund of all or part of tuition and other costs, such as the cost of books. More information on a particular school's refund policy can be found in its course catalog and/or enrollment agreement.

Related Links:

View all FAQs.

E-mail a question to Webmaster@CPEC.CA.Gov