CALIFORNIA POSTSECONDARY EDUCATION COMMISSION
Welcome to the CPEC Mobile Website.
Commissioner George T. Caplan
George T. Caplan was reappointed to the Commission by the Speaker of the Assembly on January 14, 2008 to represent the general public. His term expires on December 31, 2013. Mr. Caplan serves as Vice-Chair on the California Postsecondary Education Commission as of January 2011. He previously served on the Commission as a representative of the California Community College Board of Governors. Mr. Caplan was first appointed to the Commission on November 13, 2002.
Mr. Caplan is a partner in the Commercial Litigation Practice Group of Drinker, Biddle, and Reath. Previously, he was with the litigation practice of Epstein, Becker & Green, P.C. Formerly a litigation partner with the Los Angeles Office of Kaye Scholer LLP. Prior to this, he was Managing Partner of Dewey Ballantine's Los Angeles office. Mr. Caplan has long been active in education policy.
- LL.B., Columbia Law School, 1968
- A.B., University of California at Berkeley, 1965
- Judicial Clerk, Honorable Paul C. Weick, United States Court of Appeal for the Sixth Circuit, 1968-1969
- President of the Executive Board for the College of Letters and Science at the University of California, Berkeley
- Member of the Board of Trustees of the UC Berkeley Foundation
- President, Board of Governors of the California Community Colleges, 2006-07; member of the Board, 2001-2007; Chair, Budget Committee
- Served as the President of the Jewish Federation Council of Greater Los Angeles from 1988 to 1990
- Former Chair and President of the Jewish Television Network
- Chair of the Scholarship Committee and Educator Award Committee for the Bureau of Jewish Education
- Founded the Tolerance Alliance Scholarship, which provides financial assistance to African-American students